We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
For those with onboard diagnostic know how, the ease of checking the car engine light on the dashboard is what you will associate with on board diagnostic processes. With the regulations, the need for this gadget on cars, SUVs and the light trucks direct at the manufacturing plant.
The inbuilt computer system enables the vehicle owner access to any problem which may arise. By simply connecting the scan tool, reading the codes will be quite simple.
The several types of OBD2 scans provide the users with choice depending on taste and budget. However, the simplicity in use is derived from the fact that both scan tools used by beginners and gurus work on the same scale. Some process of use includes;
- 1. Connecting cable– this is the point through which it will have access to the external devices like the computer and the requisite software. Depending on the nature of the scan tool in use, the connection on most vehicles is usual simple. With universal scanners, wide code readability will b e achieved. Getting the right tool for the car model is however advised
- Turning off the vehicle engine
- Plugging in the OBD tool– the presence of a 16 pin port in most of the diagnostic compliant motor vehicles is one area of achieving the needed scan. The pin is usually located at different points depending on the car., for instance, it may be on the steering, between the seats or under the seats. Locating this connection point can be easily done through an online check on the type of vehicle.
- Getting the vehicle plug in area-three area of connections are of essence for this tool to work, the number 4,5 and 16 pins must be available. The number 4 and 5 pins are essential for providing the grounding connection while the number 16 will be used for battery.
- Vehicle computer connection– connecting the 16 pin to both ends of the car and the tool will be the next step.
- Know the backup areas– some devices are hand held. This means that you will need to connect them to other external devices like the PC. Bluetooth connections work well with the remote wireless connections.
- Wait for the scan tool to initialize and read the codes. By establishing the connections, the codes will be read and relayed on the screen
- Code analysis and interpretation– for novices, getting to understand the codes may be an uphill task and may require getting the services of a professional. However, some more advanced scanners are good at giving the user an interpreted version.
It is that simple to know your car engine status, so just go round and discover which tool is compatible with your car.