Since the introduction of the OBD scan tool use requirement, the use of check engine light is usually the most used concept of repair scan process. With the convenience they provide, the scan tools are some of the best inventions that ever happened to motoring. In most cases, the scanning reduces the overall cost a motorist would have incurred if manual repairs were to be used.
OBD scanning involves;
- Plugging in the scan tool to be able to read the intended codes. The process usually involves the use of certain software that is imbedded and necessary for the running of the said machines. The scan tool can also be plugged into the several other external devices which usually aid its performances.
- Reading the engine light codes either on the tool display or on the other devices like the computer will be important in giving you a rough idea as to what the fault could be. The technician with wide knowledge can have a hunch at what the repair is to be. However, the present situation allows novices to have an advantage because the code meanings can be simply gotten online.
- Begin the repair- when the individual is satisfied of the nature of the repairs needed, it may be simple or complex and requires different approaches. If the repair may need some external input, simply get it and save a lot of time. Do not assume when your car engine lights shows some warning.
The OBD myths
The use of the ODB scan tool is shrouded in lots of mystery. This is even compounded by the fact that some people do not know how the scan tools work. It is in fact serous that some people purchase the OBD scanners with little knowledge on the nature of their work.
The OBD scan tool was specifically designed to ease the process of car engine scans which was necessitated by the need to keep the environment clean. Enabled with some of the modern features, most of the scan tools are in fact given some easier interfaces which will wow its user. However, the features of most OBD scan tools include;
- Most have a computer connection point for ease of retrieval of data.
- Pin connectors varying in number but usually 16 in number.
- Some have internet connectivity which allows for ease of upgrade.
- Display for ease of access to the data.
- Some even have a Battery backup for ease of use even when the engine is off.
- They have a wide coding capacity with manufacturer specific and generic codes playing the most relevant roles.
The use of the OBD scan tool is rather simple based on the fact that they are mostly working on simple plug ports. By just doing this, the scan tool will definitely read for you the required codes with lots of ease.
If the scan tool is a wireless Bluetooth model, you can access several codes with very simple user interfaces without having to plug. It’s just by setting the relevant software that the user will get to retrieve the requisite data.
Unlike the manual mechanical repair methods, the use of the on board diagnostics has been found to be a great method of car repairs. The benefits of using the OBD can therefore include;
- Time saving– given that with the new models one can work on many car models, the process of car repair has became an affair involving just a few minutes and the solution is found
- Durable– the cross cutting use and the design of most of the scan tools makes them quit durable companion to have. In addition, the technological advances place the tools into an upgradable mode which therefore allows for their longer use and compatibility.
- User friendly– the use of the scanners does not involve the carrying of heavy tools. Moreover, the scan machines are always easy to store.
The biggest challenge we have in the use of the OBD scan tool is in knowing the right tool for your car model. However, the use of wireless models can save you from the stress of having to search for more tools.
Engine light checking currently involves so many devices. However, the OBD 2 scan tools are known to have superior user friendly interfaces that will enable for their use with lots of ease. The most important thing to note is that the scan tool should match the compatibility requirement of your car. Going round the several; available areas for information will also be useful at eliminating the confusion on the check engine process. By looking at the relevant features and the car scan coding, you can settle for a good machine at lesser cost.